Marketing in the news/ Kayak

 Looking for my “marketing in the news” idea I stumbled upon a story about this new Kayak scarecrow ad. If you aren't aware like I was, Kayak is basically a website/ app that helps you plan a trip. So when you are trying to put everything together for your vacation and figuring out what hotels and shuttles or flights to take it will help you. The Kayak search engine uses all the other travel sites out there to give you all the information you need for your trip.

Anyway, after looking into Kayak I have found that they were founded in 2004. Supposedly they have been making comedic ads since they started and have always tried to keep things funny with the advertisement on their business. They do have sixty thousand subscribers on youtube and that is where you can find all of their ads as well. They released three different ads at the same time a couple weeks ago. The scarecrow ad was the one that caught my attention so I looked at it first. It is about a farmer woman that instead of building a scarecrow she makes herself the scarecrow. Putting straw in her vest and wearing a straw hat she goes out into the middle of the field and starts screaming to scare the crows away, claiming that she can do it herself!

The second one is called mall fishing. A man in a mall is questioning why he should use kayak when he could do all his travel planning himself. He then proceeds to get into the mall pond and catch a goldfish. Claiming that if he buys a salmon at a supermarket he will have no connection to it. The last one is a man claiming he can do things better on his own and proceeds to suck things off the floor as if he is a vacuum.

The slogan in the ads is “Don't do it yourself”, and they basically are making the person that wants to figure things out on their own look stupid. And it makes sense because Kayak wants someone to use them instead of that person doing it themselves. I really don't watch Tv and I'm barely ever on an electronic device unless it's my laptop, so I don't ever see any ads. I thought these ads were funny. Do I have the urge to use kayak now since seeing the ads? No, I mean I don't really travel much anyways but I think I can figure out finding a hotel on my own. I just hope I don't end up making a fool of myself because I didn't use Kayak.

              0:31 Now playing Watch later Watch later Add to queue Add to queue  

  https://adage.com/article/marketing-news-strategy/inside-kayaks-absurdist-new-ads-supernatural/2537011


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Social Listening - Nicks Handmade Boots

Fletcher's Blog